posted Aug.29.14 at 12:05 am

Bodie's off to join the Survey Corps!

Recycling is a designer's secret weapon. I worked at this place where we kept a shared library of assets that could be reused for our projects. Anytime an artists created a new icon or illustration, it got added to the library. We all worked in Flash so it made sharing across projects fairly easy. Our library go so large that a coworker and I eventually coded up an interface that would let us all browse the library visually to more easily find things we were looking for.

Of course, there were a few times when I would spend more time searching through the library than creating something myself. But at that point, I was already fed up with the work and ready to quit.

↓ Transcript

MOUSE OVER

I want to see and understand the world outside. I don't want to die inside these walls without knowing what's out there!

PANEL 1

Kane holds up his stylus.

KANE

And… we have a poster.

ALLY

If I didn’t see it myself... How did you do it so fast?

PANEL 2

Kane holds up three fingers.

KANE

The three Rs of design. Repeat. Reuse. Recycle.

PANEL 3

Bodie stands up and salutes.

KANE

Used a poster I’m working on for the show. Now all we gotta do is get them printed.

BODIE

This herculean task shall fall to me.

PANEL 4

Bodie hangs his head.

KANE (Off panel)

Are—are you sure?

BODIE

No. But it must be done.

Tagged: kane, bodie, ally

The Shameful, Shameful Blog

2 Alternatives to the Big Show

Aug.06.14 11:45 am

It's con season which can be kind of a hassle for creators. So here are two alternatives to trying to get into that big show.

BACKEND IS GO!

Jul.23.14 09:21 pm

Big shout out to Erin from Hiveworks for hooking up the new backend! Things work a little differently now. The bloggy blog will still be on the page even when you click over to make a comment on the comic. And there might be some other odds and ends that a slightly different. But overall, things should work like they have been.

YP BACKEND MIGRATION

Jul.23.14 02:18 am

The Hiveworks team is hard at work migrating the YP comic CMS into something less crazy then the Comicpress madness. As a result, you’ll notice a few 404′s if you click around here as well as comments missing on some posts. Those have been sucked into the new system and will be back up once we’re able to finalize the migration. Hopefully, everything will get sorted out soon.

I’ve been meaning to update the website for a while now, but the WordPress/Comicpress combo has too many pieces that I’d need to change in order to refresh everything. There are so many bits that are connected with so many other bits that it’d be like digging for gold to make the changes I want.

The new system is more streamlined which makes things easier for me and actually loads a whole lot faster which makes things easier for you! So please excuse the mess while things are a chugging.

The Many Paths to the Top of Mount Comics

Jul.16.14 12:00 am

Some thoughts on the many different ways to make money drawing pretty pictures.

Patron Wallpaper for May

Jun.12.14 11:22 pm
mayWallpaperThurmg

I've been working on this wallpaper image for my Patrons. I modeled the kitsune in Zbrush and used Mental Ray in Maya for rendering with lots of touch up in Photoshop. This was for May soI'm a little behind.

Each month, Patrons will be getting full sized wallpapers at various sizes. The resolution is high enough to print so if you want a copy for your actual wall, you can do that. So, if you're interested in that kind of thing from me, check out my Patreon page.Once you join, you get access to all the stuff inPatron-only feed so if you sign up later in the year, you can still get all the previous month's wallpapers.